Friday, November 10, 2006

Suzanne Farrell's Island Retreat

One of Balanchine's muses has a home on Fourth Lake. Former New York City Ballet principal Suzanne Farrell, escapes to Cedar Island, shown here many years ago in one of its more rustic past lives, each summer. She ran a ballet camp on the island for many years. There is a dance studio on the main part of the property, a stone house, and several little bungalows scattered about. The dancers stayed in the little bungalows, with sheepskin rugs on the floors and bright tapestries hanging across the rooms. I visited the island once, for an hour or so, thanks to my sister, who was a ballet student of Ms. Farrell's sister, Donna. It remains pretty rustic, though I think the lean-tos are now gone.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:26 PM

    I visited the island in the summer of 1986. I met Suzanne Farrell and Paul Mejia that day.

    ReplyDelete